Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Another Baby Blanket

Everyone I know is having girls. So another little girl themed baby shower requires a new baby blanket. I haven't had much time lately, so I cheated on this one. I know it looks like I took a ton of time to piece the top together with coordinated 3 inch squares. But, in fact, this was a pre-pieced top that I picked up at Joann's Fabric with a matching piece of soft flannel for the back. The white fuzzy squares are as soft as they look. Save those coupons from the newspaper or their flyers - this fabric was very expensive, but a 50% off coupon makes it much more reasonable.Super easy sewing - you know the drill. Right sides together, sew around the edges leaving a 4" opening on one side for turning. Top stitch close to the edges all the way around (which sews closed the opening). I also cheated and instead of taking time to tie this quilt, I did some quick zig zag tacking stitches every so often at the corners of some of the blocks to keep the top and bottom pieces together through many washings. And bada bing, bada boom - a cute gift.
I hope to add another new handmade item to this one for the shower. It, of course, requires a trip to the fabric store - darn. I've been thinking about why I have so many scraps of fabric. This is why! I need to learn to use up my scraps!

No comments: