Monday, December 17, 2012

German Pancakes

One of my favorite breakfasts is "German Pancakes".  At least that's what we know them as.  My mom used to make them for us when my brother and sister and I were kids.  I've also heard them called Dutch Baby pancakes or Oven pancakes.  Whatever you call them - they are still one of my most favorite breakfasts - - call it comfort food. 
 
Well I came across a pan made just for them.  Normally I just make them in either an 8x8 baking dish or if I'm doing a big batch, I'll use a 9x13 baking dish.  This oven-safe pan has the perfect curved sides and is just the right size.  I do need to remember to lower my oven rack next time just to keep the edges from over-browning.

But here it is - my recipe:
 
German Pancakes
4 T butter - let it melt in the pan in a 400 degree oven as it warms up.
Mix 6 eggs, 1 cup flour, and 1 cup milk.  Some recipes recommend a blender for the mixing - I like just a big bowl and a good whisk. 
Pour the mix in with the melted butter and pop it back in the oven.
Bake for 20 minutes.
Top with your favorite syrup and/or powdered sugar.
Um, um, good!!!!!

post signature

No comments: